- The Shawarma Place, in Cutter Square (EDIT: moved to 215 Highland Ave)
- Aguacate Verde, in Wilson Square
- Union Mart and Subway, in Union Square
The former iYO Cafe/Bistro at 234 Elm Street has a big new RESTAURANT AVAILABLE sign in the window. The QR code on the sign leads to a blank page, but I found the restaurant listed for sale on this page
SOMERVILLE, MA Café / Restaurant Location Common Victualler License Busy High Traffic Location. Sales History of $14,400.00 per week. Approximately 2,510 SF. Rent $50 - $55 PSF. 60 Seats. Beautiful Buildout with Exposed Brick Walls. Great Opportunity.
with more detail available here if you login to the nerest.com website. I'll include that detail below the lj-cut.
At an informal meeting with a few local residents Wednesday evening, Ward 6 Alderman Lance Davis said that Taco Bell has expressed interest in this location for their new Taco Bell Cantina restaurant format, which includes alcoholic beverages. Only a few of these exist so far, in Chicago, Austin, San Francisco, and Las Vegas.( Restaurant for sale detail )
Once this closes, the nearest Family Dollar will be at 1030 Cambridge Street in Cambridge, corner of Columbia Street and Webster Avenue (near Union and Inman squares). I don't know how long that one will remain a Family Dollar, since it is one of the stores the chain is divesting to become part of the new Dollar Express chain.
If this is like other liquidation sales, I expect the discounts to increase as the stock dwindles.
A sign inside directs customers to visit the Family Dollar at 469 Salem Street in Medford after this store closes.
* This Family Dollar doesn't actually sell any alcoholic beverages. Maybe some other location does?
I'm planning to make an excursion to try and get as many of their old out-of-print gay comics that I can. So many good businesses closing their doors... :(
With the recent closing of iYo, this leaves quite a froyo gap in the square all of a sudden!? Has froyo had its moment and now become uncool? :(
In or near 2263 Mass Ave (where L'impasto was, which I hadn't even realized had closed, did something else close, too?), will be:
Urban Hearth http://www.urbanhearth.net/
Curio Spice Co. http://www.curiospice.com
"Café Luna has applied to move its catering business to the site, where it would continue to do the cooking for off-site catering in the area and also provide on-site seating for people who want salads, coffee and so forth."
Cafe Luna is currently in Central Square. I've never been there.
Being unfamiliar with any of these businesses, I'm not sure how excited to be. Any thoughts? :)
Somerville Express Center is closing August 25.
Our Boston Center is located at 1055 Commonwealth Avenue and is accessible via the MBTA.
To make an appointment, call 1.800.230.PLAN or visit PPLM.org
Here's a statement from Dr. Jennifer Childs-Roshak, the organization's president and CEO, dated June 30.
The office opened on February 22, 2006.
Earlier posts about this: July 15, 2015 | July 9, 2015
The suit alleges that Found owes $21,981.42 in unpaid back rent, that they abandoned the property leaving it in "disarray", and that they broke their lease which obligates them to pay rent through the end of August 2017. ($9472.50/month through 8/31/16, then $9804.03/month through 8/31/17)
So far, this sounds like an ordinary business dispute, but the landlord also twice cites my January 28 post to DSLJ:
COUNT III: Fraudulent Transfer
20. Upon information and belief, the defendants are seeking to use the funds and assets of the defendant Found to start a new company or to establish Found in another location. (See Davis Square Live Journal, dated January 28, 2016, attached hereto as Exhibit "C")
COUNT V: Slander/Defamation - Fred Bennett
29. Upon information and belief, on or about January 28, 2016, while in the process of abandoning the Premises, defendant Fred Bennett told a third-party that the plaintiff was "a greedy jerk who jacked up the rent, and is not a good person." (See Exhibit C)
30. The statement by Bennett is factually untrue.
31. Additional comments on the community webpage attached as Exhibit C demonstrate that such defamatory words of defendant Fred Bennett held the plaintiff up to contempt, hatred, scorn, or ridicule or tended to impair his standing in the community, at least to his discredit in the minds of a considerable and respectable class in the community.
I became aware of this lawsuit when a representative from Safety Insurance Company came to my door at 12:55 pm on Tuesday afternoon, May 24. He wanted me to sign an affidavit stating that I made the DSLJ post cited above, and asked me some questions about the appearance of the person whom I quoted in that post. I declined to sign the affidavit, which was my right, but the Safety rep said that this may result in me being subpoenaed as a witness.
He told me that the owners of Found had cancelled their insurance policy the same day as my DSLJ post, and he was very interested in determining whether Fred Bennett had cancelled the policy before or after making the statement quoted above.
If anyone wants to follow along, the case number is 1681CV00413, Misujo Realty LLC vs Davis Square Consignment, LLC Doing Business as Found, Fred Bennett, Meredith Bennett, Defendants, and Eastern Bank NA, Trustee Defendant. The complaint was filed in Middlesex Superior Court which is located in Woburn. You can follow the status of the case by filling out this form, but the content of the filed documents is not online. So far, the defendants have not answered the complaint. Their deadline for doing so is June 15.